Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Post-Birthday

I’m a big fan of birthdays, therefore I tend to let them last for as long as I possibly can.  This year I had a 5-day birthday binge.  Why not?  What other time in the year do you have an excuse to celebrate yourself?  Who doesn’t like celebrating themselves?!

I really do have the best family and friends.  I have a new prized possession.  Hello Ray Bans!  I got roses from someone other than my father for sadly, probably the first time in my life.  Pathetic, I know, but there’s a first time for everything!  They were gorgeous and they made me smile so much!  My parents are helping pay for my upcoming wedding expenses and that is honestly the best present that I could ask for right now.

I enjoyed a nice dinner at Baba Louie’s with my parents on Thursday night.  I worked at Baba Louie’s a couple of years ago, and I’m surprised I didn’t gain 20 pounds.  Or maybe I did..  Anyway, the food is so good that I’m glad I never got sick of it.  It is hands down one of my favorite restaurants and I would recommend it to anyone who is not afraid of the not-so-common pizza selections.  On this particular night, we ordered the bruschetta salad as an appetizer.  Then my mom is insistent on the Melenzana Cardinale at every visit (fresh mozzarella, eggplant, tomatoes, smoked gouda and pesto, garnished with parmesan and red pepper flakes), and as a birthday request, I ordered the Cole’s Creation (fresh mozzarella, red onions, fresh garlic, plum tomatoes, topped with arugula, feta and balsamic vinaigrette) ,which has always been my favorite.  Check out their website if you’ve never been before, or if you are currently finding your mouth watering! http://www.babalouiespizza.com/

The rest of the weekend was filled with drinks, friends, cousins, bacon, and lots of fun!  I do have to mention a couple of events that have occurred within the past few days that have made me so happy:

Race for Hope:  This is a 5k which benefits people living with brain, neck, and head cancer in the Capital Region.  Although this didn’t directly affect Erica, it was something that Alyssa and Meg put together which was an amazing success.  Word spread about the race, and Team Erica grew and grew.  Meg designed t-shirts, and each one that was bought sent proceeds Erica’s way.  Seeing so many people with Team Erica shirts on at the start of the race was incredibly touching.  So many people that we know and love came to show their support for Erica.  Some ran to beat their best time, some came out with a steady jog, and others (like me) enjoyed the beautiful day with a walk and some conversation with a couple of friends.  No matter how anyone finished, it was a success.


Volley for Erica:  Hats off to the HHS Girls Varsity Volleyball team!  In a very short amount of time, Chuck and Carol Peters (I’m sure there were more people involved, thank you!) pulled off quite the success of a volleyball game!  Proceeds from the raffle and candy sales all went to Erica and they also had a donation box available.  They raised over $1,200!! Besides being a successful event to help Erica, it was also fun! I haven’t been back to Hudson High for a sports event since… I graduated?  I actually love to watch volleyball so I was happy to go.  The girls wore pink and gray ribbon in their hair, they wore Erica’s old number on their arms, and they showed such amazing sportsmanship.  Congrats on the win girls!

Olana:  Go there. Now!  I haven’t been since I was a little girl, and I suggested that my mom and I go on Sunday to walk on the carriage trails.  We parked before the booth, as neither of us had money to pay the $5 to drive up top.  What are the chances that neither of us brings our wallets?!  I was more excited to get to the Fredric Church house than I could have imagined.  I forced my mom to walk up this treacherous hill to get to the top and I felt like I was Jillian Michaels cheering her on.  We eventually got there and it was well worth it.  The views from the top of Olana are breathtaking, especially right now as the leaves are changing colors.  We walked on the trails.  On one trail, there is a view of ALL of Hudson.  You can see the hospital and all that surrounds it.  I didn’t think that I would see something as great as that, but then I turned the next corner.  Think RipVanWinkle Bridge, Hudson River, and Catskill Mountains. I could have stayed all day.  Go, go, go, go.  And if you don’t feel like paying $5 and you have your walking shoes on, park low and walk up!




Now onto wedding week!! One of my best friends, Dana, is marrying quite possibly the greatest guy I’ve ever met.. that’s you Michael.  I leave for Cape Cod tomorrow (Heck yeah to a 2.5 day work week) where we will spend the weekend celebrating the newlyweds!  And Kristen is back in America.  Foreseeing the best. week. ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment