Saturday, August 31, 2013

One Down



            Shortly after I found out I was going to Thailand, one of my best friends, +Kristen Reinckens, told us that she was moving to London for work.  Like me, Kristen loves to travel so this didn’t surprise me at all.  She is off to London for two years and even though I’m going to an equally cool place (maybe cooler), I can’t help but be a bit jealous!
            I lived in London for the summer of 2010.  I took my finals early and jet set across the pond to be a nanny for the next three months.  It was hands-down the best summer I have ever had, in most part due to the Dembinski family.  I couldn’t have asked for a more generous, caring, and respectful family to have shared the experience with.  With the help and encouragement of Nicole, I grew to know and love this city.  I named one of my London albums on Facebook “And London Will Have My Heart,” and it still does.  Because of my love for London, Kristen has had my support from the minute she told me.  I may have even screamed a little.  I am excited for her to fall in love with the city just like I did.
            The past month has been one of the most emotional times of my life, but last night as Kristen, Em, Dana and I were sobbing in our living room (Kristen takes off tonight for London), I knew that it was a good cry for me.  It kind of reminds me of the night we all huddled in my sister's bed the night before we left for college.  Sad to be leaving each other because our friendship is incredibly strong, but also excited about what is to come in the future.  I am very fortunate to have had these friends since high school, and although some huge changes are on the horizon, I am confident that nothing will change in our friendships.

            Kris, here is a little advice and a quick message for you!
                        -Be fearless.  With your adventures.  With your personality. And especially with your heart.  As you more than know, we’re all rooting for that perfect British boyfriend.
                        -See everything you can.  From a short ride to the beaches of Brighton, to a train ride to the grassy hills of Scotland, to a worthwhile plane ride to the Swiss Alps.  Enjoy the city at your fingertips but take advantage of everything surrounding you.  Get to 25 before 25.
                        -Shop.  Not like I need to tell you to..
                        -Go to all of the festivals you can possibly fit into your schedule.
                        -Don’t watch British TV.
                        -Meet up with all of the people I know and love to ensure you have reliable acquaintances.
                        -Don’t miss home too much and when you do, any one of us is just a Skype or FaceTime away.  Always keep in mind how lucky you are to be getting this experience and friend/family time is always closer than you think (aka you will see us in ONE MONTH for Dana and Mike’s wedding).
                        -Everything happens for a reason.  Is that a proven fact yet?

            This is going to be the experience of a lifetime for both of us and I can’t wait to follow you on your journey.  Literally follow you.  No matter what it takes, you will be the first to see my face when I am done with Thailand.  Keep your couch nice and warm for me in the spring!


Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think that you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.
-Asha Tyson

1 comment: