Monday, August 26, 2013

Moving Day

Today I had to make a small move.  A small move before the BIG move.  So, to Hudson I go.  Bitter. Sweet. 

Things I am excited for:

-I am finished paying for rent and utilities.  Enter starting to save for Thailand. Yes I said starting. Feel free to buy me a beer when you see me.
-Having a fully stocked kitchen.  I have grown to love to cook and it’s slightly difficult to do so when we have relied on raw veggies, hummus, cheese, and crackers as our dinner staples for the past two years.  Mom and Dad, prepare to be wowed by my skills in the kitchen!
-Spending more time with my family before I leave.
-Thailand is 60 days away.  We’re getting there!

Things I am not excited for:

-Leaving my apartment. After being here for almost two years, it will be extremely depressing to leave this little place I call home.  I’m comfortable here.  So comfortable in fact that I moved out my things tonight but kept most of my clothes here because I plan on sleeping on the couch as often as possible.  There have been many memories here and it is crazy to think that I will never live here again. I will be a visitor in my own apartment for the next two months. So strange.
-Leaving Albany.  Although I have often heard many people talk negatively about Albany, I have grown to love it, mainly because our apartment is in an amazing location.
Washington Park.  This is literally my front yard and unfortunately I don’t think we’ve taken advantage of it quite enough.  I will miss Tulipfest and Larkfest, and the man who pushes around a speaker system in a shopping cart.  I will miss the dog-friendliness of the park and our apartment building.  It’s a little thing, and I don’t have a dog here, but there is always one available to pet!  I will miss having such a great place to jog and to people-watch.  It’s a great place to grab a book and relax in the sun.
Lark Street.  One of the great loves of my life.  When we chose our apartment, I don’t think we realized how amazing of a location it was.  Could I even ask for more than having 11 bars in walking distance (and even more restaurants)?!  If you know me well, you know that no, I could not ask for more unless there were even more bars than that.  Em and I have grown into our patterns here.  Tuesday nights are for trivia at Lark Tavern.  A typical Friday night is for Lionheart, getting there at happy hour, eating popcorn for an appetizer (even though I hate popcorn), leaving for a typical dinner consisting of the best cheese board you will ever encounter at DeJohn’s, then going back to Lionheart for the rest of the night.  Saturdays are for stepping into Bombers at the instant they open to hang out with Paula and seeing where the day takes us. I not only love these places for their food, beer, and margaritas, but for the people I have met as well.  At Lionheart we are regulars.  After any weekend my mom is sure to ask, “Where did you go out last night, Lionheart?” Yes is more often than not my answer to that question.  The bartenders and bouncers there have been so good to us and I am definitely happy to call some of them friends and give them a more than positive shout-out.  These people will be missed.
The Capitol District.  The location of Albany is great. 40 minutes from Hudson. 10 minutes from Troy.  40 minutes from Saratoga.  Everything we could want to do is in driving distance and I have definitely benefited from it.  Going to SPAC and to the race track are two of my favorite things to do over the summer.  I feel lucky that I had such easy access to two great means of entertainment!  I just lost some money at Travers on Saturday and have a John Mayer and Philip Phillips concert coming up on Friday.  Happy to visit Saratoga a couple times before I go!
-Leaving Emily :(.  We have done everything together for two years. Celebrating birthdays.  TV watching.  Happy hour.  Boston and NYC trips.  New Orleans.  Concerts.  Vegas.  We’ve been each other’s wing women.  We’ve gotten over (or have helped each other attempt to get over) jerky guy after jerky guy.  We’ve celebrated promotions and raises.  We often finish each other’s sentences.  We’ve helped financially when one of us was $.14 away from over-drafting.  Although there have been some tough times, we have helped each other get through them and I can’t imagine living with anyone else these past two years.  This will be the most difficult thing about moving.  Lance, I love you forever.  I am so proud of all you have accomplished!  Hopefully you’ll be making the really big bucks by the time I get back and you can be my sugar mama (because Lord knows I will be coming back with zero dollars).  Although my bedroom is now empty, you have me for two more months.  We will deal with the big move when the time comes!

             This little move has gotten my brain thinking of the future. What will I do when I come back? Where will I work?  Will I come back to Albany or will I try and start fresh in a new location?  Will some of my friends be relocated by then?  The questions seem endless, but there isn't a reason to dwell on the future when it is something out of my control at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Giiiiiirl why you making me cry! I love you and this is going to be sad but I cannot wait for all the adventures where I will live vicariously through you. Send me messages for me to give to Paula and John every Saturday/ Friday when I visit them alone. :)

    XOXOXXOOXOXOXOXOOXOXOOOOOOOOOOOOOXOX

    ReplyDelete